Communicating the flow of information from various groups to industry and responding appropriately and with authority on their behalf has ensured that SIV is the foremost voice on Victoria’s seafood industry.
SIV, working in partnership with government and industry, develops the direction for the management of commercial fisheries in Victoria. SIV also helps inform local and national policy that directly or indirectly relates to Victoria’s seafood industry.
SIV was formed in 1989 and is a not for profit, non government organisation founded and funded by professional fishers and fish processors. Fishing and post harvest sector associations also contribute financially as SIV members.
Born out of the Victorian Fishing Industry Federation of the late 1970s, SIV has been, in one form or another, representing the interests of Victoria’s seafood industry for over forty years.
SIV’s history pales in comparison to the industry we represent but we are proud; to have a small place in its rich past, vibrant heritage, and to be part of its prosperous and exciting future.
SIV will promote and celebrate the contributions of the seafood industry, more importantly that Victorian seafood is:
- Managed in a sustainable manner and practiced using environmentally friendly harvesting methods
- The only source of local, fresh healthy and sustainable seafood; and
- Important to the economic and social viability of coastal communities.
Whilst promoting these core messages, our industry’s rich history and cultural significance will be remembered and celebrated.
SIV understands that the marine environment from which our industry harvests is a multi user environment involving other marine user groups and requires fair, equitable and negotiated resource access.
To ensure that resource sharing between marine user groups is fairly negotiated and that others understand the nature and requirements of our industry’s access, SIV has built and developed close relationships with many vested stakeholders including:
- Victoria’s Department of Primary Industries
- Fisheries Victoria
- Commonwealth’s Department of Sustainability and Environment, Water, Populations and Communities
- Commonwealth’s Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority
- Victoria’s Department of Sustainability and Environment
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation
- Australian Quarantine Inspection Service
- Victoria’s Department of Climate Change
- Marine Safety Victoria
- VR Fish
- Australian Conservation Foundation
- Victorian National Parks Association
- National Seafood Industry Alliance
- And many others